Amaranth-Chocolate Chip Cookies
We made, enjoyed, and gifted these unusual cookies as our Official Christmas Cookie this year. Protein-packed, popped amaranth not only provides a hearty crunch and tantalizing texture, but a healthy excuse to make cookies, too! But you're not losing any sweetness in the flavor department with the addition of chocolate chips. Go ahead, you need your protein!
- Cream together butter and sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add dry mixture to the above ingredients.
- Once beaten smooth, add popped amaranth, chocolate chips, and cranberries (if desired).
- Beat the mixture well. Drop cookies 2 inches apart on a well-greased cookie sheet and bake to 7-9 minutes. (If cookies spread out too much, add 2 tbs of flour.)
Directions for popping amaranth: (General rule is 1/4 cup unpopped produces about 1 cup popped.) Heat frying pan. Once hot, test 2-4 amaranth seeds to see if they pop quickly. If so proceed by adding 1-2 tbs of amaranth to the pan. It should pop quickly. Cover and keep the pan moving, checking every 15 seconds or so. Don't leave unattended, or it will burn. Like popcorn, not every kernel will pop, but it'll will be just fine in the cookies!Enjoy!