Banana Cupcakes (GF)
My friend Marie made this recipe as a cake for Boyfriend's birthday last year, and we loved the simplicity to yumminess factor so much, it was requested again this year! I made 40 of these cupcakes for his 40th birthday party last week. Well, these and those yummy chocolate chip zucchini muffins (cleverly disguised at cupcakes) I put on the site a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy to report that the guests enjoyed both snarfed each flavor with equal satisfaction!
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with paper cups or grease a 9 X 12 baking pan.
- Mash ripe bananas with a fork in a small bowl with lemon juice.
- Put flour and baking soda in a bowl and whisk together.
- Mix all wet ingredients (but banana/lemon mixture) and sugar in a large bowl and mix with electric mixer. Once wet ingredients are thoroughly combined, gently mix in banana mixture with the fork.
- Mix in the dry ingredients on low or fold in with a spoon.
- Pour into greased baking pan or divide batter among 24 cupcake cups.
- Bake cake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. For cupcakes, bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting (if desired, we served without).
TIP: Don't have any applesauce, but have an apple? Cut up 1 large apple into chunks, remove core/seeds, blend with some water until consistency you like, simmer on the stove for a few minutes...voila! 1/2 cup applesauce! Or make more and save some for later - I like to put mine on pancakes or waffles in lieu of syrup. (Got that from Boyfriend's sister-in-law - thanks, Isabel!)