Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins (GF)
I usually don't bake, but I found this recipe on an old friend's blog, and the moment I saw it, I've been itching to make it! My friend's version is gluten-free, but I didn't have all the right ingredients, so I altered the recipe a bit to make them for myself, but I'm including the gluten-free exchanges in the ingredients.
I loved the idea of combining chocolate and one of the most underated, but prolific vegetables together, in one, delicious muffin! I made them this morning, and I was not disappointed - not too sweet, but not too 'veggie', either! If you like chocolate, and like me, know that you can never eat too many veggies, this is the treat for you! And your kids, too, a la Jessica Seinfeld, huh?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place paper cups in muffin tins, or spray two 8in. loaf pans.
- Place flour (and xantham gum, if GF version), salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in medium bowl. Use wire whisk to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, place oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Mix with hand mixer until fluffy. Stir in applesauce and shredded zucchini. Stir in flour mixture until just combines. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter and bake for 50 minutes for loaves or 25-30 minutes for muffins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
TIP: Don't have any applesauce, but have an apple? Cut up 1 large apple into chunks, remove core/seeds, blend with some water until consistency you like, simmer on the stove for a few minutes...voila! 1/2 cup applesauce! Or make more and save some for later - I like to put mine on pancakes or waffles in lieu of syrup. (Got that from Boyfriend's sister-in-law - thanks, Isabel!)