Orange-Pumpkin Spice Bread
Okay, so it's really just cake, but it's the pumpkin holiday time of year, so let's have some dessert! I made this recipe many years ago, but recently needed something to bring to a luncheon, and this was the perfect complement to our after-lunch tea. I switched it up a a bit by changing some of the sugar in for some applesauce and it was just perfectly moist, and not too sweet.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a small saucepan over medium heat until steamy.
- Stirring continuously, cook until pumpkin is stiff and starts to stick to the pan bottom, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium bowl; whisk in 3/4 cup water, then brown sugar, then applesauce, then oil, then eggs, until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining dry ingredients, then fold into the pumpkin mixture until just combined.
- Mix in 1 tbs orange zest.
- Scrape batter into well-greased pan. Top with remaining 1 tsp orange zest.
- Bake until firm and golden brown, about 45 minutes. (or until toothpick comes clean)
- Turn onto a wire rack and cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.
Recipe doubles easily (what else are you going to do with that half can of pumpkin?) and freezes well.