Peanut Noodles with Shrimp
I'm still on a "fast and easy" kick (a la my salad post last week), but variety is the spice of life, huh? And so Boyfriend and I have been on a mission to create a quick, but flavorful - ethnic, even! - dish to satisfy all of those requirements. Behold our collaboration - a Thai-inspired peanut-y, noodle-y, spicy bowl of yumminess topped with some fresh greenery and crunchy shrimp, too! And our "veggie" friends just need to bypass the shrimp and throw some tofu in the sauce while it cooks - easy!
TIP: The peanut sauce can also be used over salad or as a dip. Bonus!
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a blender combine sesame oil, onion, garlic, and hot chili pepper; blend for 1 minute.
- Empty the mixture into a large saucepan and place over low heat until the mixture starts releasing aroma. Add peanut butter and mix well over low heat.
- Add water and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in vinegar and sugar; continue to simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Tast and add more vinegar and sugar if the mixture does not have enough sour or sweet taste.
- Pour sauce over noodles, and mix to coat.
- Add basil, cilantro, green onions and shrimp; toss and place in serving bowl.
- Optional: Squeeze fresh lime over the top just before serving.
Note to vegetarians/vegans: replace shrimp with cubed tofu - just cook the tofu in the sauce while heating.TIP: The peanut sauce can also be used alone as a salad dressing or a veggie dip.